Thursday, May 31, 2012

Grandma's Cabin


This is grandma's cabin in Pisgah Forest, NC, where I spent my summers with her and my cousin, Roselyn. No indoor plumbing, no TV or electricity, oil lamps, wood stove and lots of LOVE!!  Roselyn and I slept together in the back bedroom. We had a "pee pot" under the bed because we did not want to have to hike to the outhouse in the middle of the night. How wonderful it was to wake up in the morning to fresh homemade biscuits cooked on that old Roman woodstove and what fun it was to climb that mountain and splash in the cold creek. And after a hard day of play grandma would make us take a bath in the galvanized tub behind the cabin. This is one of my favorite places.  My dad still lives on this property in a modern house and the cabin still stands, it is used as a vacation rental now with plumbing and electricity but still quite cozy.


My dad added a front porch to the cabin and put on a new roof at first it took some getting use to, but now I like it. Porches are great places to hang out.

2 comments:

  1. love your blog and great job on your little trailer!...looking forward to reading your past and future posts...are you going to add the follower widget so we can follow along?

    ReplyDelete